Thursday, September 6, 2012

Martha Stewart Precious Metals Specialty Paint/Finish in Mirror

The coolest paint on the market is the Martha Stewart Precious Metals Paint, this project used the color  "Mirror" in the precious metals line, so fun!
So I was garage sailing one Saturday morning when I came across an interesting multi-family garage sale. This chair was in a random corner with a bunch of stuff piled on top. I wasn't sure if it was for sale and was pleased to find out it was $4.

It seemed to be a nice looking chair but the wicker on the seat was all rotted through. Sorry, not pictured here. 

I could tell a custom painted piece but not well cared for. However, the chair was sturdy and not wobbly which is very important when spotting a candidate to re-vamp. 

First, I cut the rotted wicker seating out of the bottom. Next, I cut a 1/2 thick piece of plywood (with a handsaw)  to serve as the new seat. I envisioned this chair for my sewing craft room. Next, I picked out a foam cushion and fabric and upholstered the newly made seat with a staple gun. 
Before screwing the seat onto the chair (screws can always be found underneath any chair to secure the seat cushion) I sanded the chair down with my Ryobi sander. Hand Sanders are  like $30 and it saves so much time, not to mention your manicure. 

I liked the paint pattern that was on the chair previously but wanted to make the chair silver and black and give it amore chic look instead of french country.

Oh, BTW always look for clues of a well built piece of furniture. By looking underneath the chair I found this custom metal plaque. This tells you that it's a quality craftsmanship and isn't going to fall apart. 

The opening in the chair was perfect for a piece of an old chandelier jewel. I hand turned the round screw into the wood after drilling a tiny hole.

Before I screwed down the newly upholstered seat, I hot glued this cording on the wood.

I haven't experimented with the shabby chic look yet; i.e. the chipped paint and perfectly distressed style.  I tend to like higher gloss paint. Especially for a chair that will "worn and torn" I used Behr premium plus hi-glass pure black. 

I purchased this canvas from Hobby Lobby with a coupon. They'll take an email coupon from your smart phone, 40% off makes a big difference!

I left TRACY's name and copyright on the chair for good measure. It's tiny so you don't notice it.

Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment